Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Dragon's Revenge

This story is part 3 of Dragon, a 7 part series that started in Dragon's Fury.
Dragon's Revenge


Branches slapped me in the face, scratching and cutting my skin as I ran through the trees. Flames erupted around me, scorching my skin, as the winged behemoth soared over me.

Eight months ago, after slaying Shelano, the dragons attacked Energist City, killing several people and searching for the hunter who killed her and Draconte. So I ran. I left Energist City, putting out the word that I was leaving, and went into hiding. My contacts in the city said that after a couple of weeks, the attacks ended as the dragon went searching for me.

It didn’t take long before a few found me, but I managed to defeat them. Didn’t even need to use Jacob’s shield against the last one.

Every thing’s been quiet now for the last few months. I thought it was safe to return. Then Malisont attacked.

He came at me from out of nowhere. I was packing up my campsite, ready to return home. By the end of the day I would be sleeping in my own bed. Ada offered to pick me up, but I decided to return the same way I left; on foot. Right now, I wish I had taken her up on that offer.

Malisont fired again, and I was glad that he couldn't’t get a good shot. I had been forced to leave the shield behind when he attacked. It had been the only thing that saved me from countless attacks, but all it would take was one burst of fire to burn me to a crisp.

Up ahead I could see a clearing through the flames, and I ran even harder, hoping it was the edge of the city’s defense field. As I reached the edge of the trees, my heart sank. I recognized where I was. I must have gotten lost during the chase, but there was no doubt about what I saw ahead of me.

Mount Salus.

I weighed my options. Do I stay here and let the flames kill me, or take my chances running for the mountain. Flames leapt all around me as Malisont banked around for another pass. I made my choice.

I left the cover of the trees and headed for the mountain.

I wasn’t more then a few hundred feet before Malisont caught up to me. He began pelting the clearing with fireballs, creating craters where once there was grass. Smoke filled the clearing and dirt showered down onto me, but I kept running, constantly moving. If I stopped, I was dead. Either his flames would get me, or he would.

My legs were killing me and I was about to collapse, but then I saw it. The entrance to the cave was dead ahead. I risked running in a straight line as I got closer with each step. I heard Malisont approaching, but I kept running. The cave was just a few feet away. I ran faster, pushing myself harder then I ever had as the dragon drew closer and closer with each second.

I dove the last few feet, causing Malisont to crash into the side of the mountain. I paused for a second to catch my breath, but that was all the time I had as Mailsont stuck his snout into the cave opening. He snapped at me, trying to get me, but I was too far in. Then he opened his mouth, and I saw the flames in the back of his throat.

Flames flew pass me as I dove into a side tunnel, melting the soles of my boots. I kept running, knowing where I had to go. The only exit still open. The only chance I had.

I had to return to the roost.

If I could get to the roost, all I would have to do was wait for Malisont to approach through the larger entrance and then I would escape the same way I had after defeating Draconte. By the time he got back out of the mountain, I would be inside Energist City’s defensive grid.

My legs begging for rest, I entered the roost and collapsed in despair. The exit I hoped for had caved in. Maybe it had been natural causes, maybe it had been a dragon that did it. Maybe even Malisont himself did it, incase our battle lead us here.

I heard Malisont approaching, saw his flames light up the tunnel across the roost from me. I had no choice. I ran to Shelano’s corpse and drew my brother’s sword from where I left it so many months ago. As Malisont entered the roost, I prepared for battle, knowing only one of us would leave here alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home