Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Check Your Facts!

I'm watching CNN while getting ready for work and they just said that, after sending a reporter to investigate, the reports that Senator Obama went to a radical Islamic school were not accurate and apologiezed for reporting the story in the first place.

I heard about this story a the other day while exploring the liberal side of the sphere, but choose not to comment on it. I would probobly still choose not to comment on it, but the CNN said something else.

A few minutes later they did a weather report, and they showed some pictures of Cactus with snow on it. While this is unusual, it's no big deal. What I found most interesting is the fact that they thanked the viewers for sending the pics, saying that they wouldn't have mentioned it if there hadn't been proof.

Excuse me? They announce that a senator and possible presidential hopeful went to a radical Islamic school with out checking their information, but they need proof before they will talk about snow on a cactus?

I can understand wanting to be the first to report something like that, but to do so with out checking it out first is irresponsable. As a trusted source for news, I expect them to act professionaly. I expect the same from any news source, whether local paper, radio station, T.V. news, website, or blog. That is why so many of my posts have a lot of links in them. I try to learn everything I can and referance my sources as much as possible, even if it's something as pointless as the fact that the guy who played BAtman in Batman: TAS played Robin's dad in the new series. (here is the post where I talked about that.)

If they can't atleast check their information before reporting it, they should atleast say that it is a rumor, or list it as breaking news and say that they will let us know more as the story developes. as I said, it's the least they can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home