Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Red Sky In Morning

This story is part 1 of Battle At Sea, a 4 part series


Red Sky In Morning


I had no idea why I was there.

I knew that father had sent us on a mission. None of us knew what it was. Well, none of us except the commander, but that was fine with us. We were the Ridir a Deo after all. As far as we were concerned no one, save God himself, had any authority above Angus MaCrae. It’s been that way since the Ridir a Deo were created. We have always followed the commands of our leader, to the exclusion of all other orders.

Yet that doesn’t change the fact that I was standing here, watching the sky turn blood read as the sun rose, not knowing why I was here.

As I watched the sun creep over the horizon Murdo Sàl, the captain of the Patrick came to stand beside me. Looking out cross the water, he said that the red sky was a bad omen, that they should head for a port. I laughed, saying he was being superstitious. The sea was calm, the wind was good, and there was barely a cloud in the sky.

Then I saw it. Upon the horizon was a ship moving towards us rapidly. As they drew near, I drew my sword and loaded my pistol as the captain sounded the cry that all sea goers fear.

Pirates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home