Sunday, June 27, 2010

I'm watching the new episode of Food(ography)and they are talking about Cookbooks. I love cook books. My favorites are the ones that are as much autobiography as they are cook book, like the Triple D ones. I also like the Better Homes and Gardens one because of all the info in it. I have one that has a bunch of recipes from the middle ages, in middle ages English.

I don't have a copy of Joy of Cooking (bit ashamed about that) and I don't have any of Julia Child either, but the ones I treasure most are my grandmother's. One of the people they talked to on the show said that the best ones are ones that are handed down and it is true. Some are standard church cook books, and some are fairly new, but there are some from when my dad was a kid. I think there is even one she got from her mom!

The thing that surprised me is this. When we were cleaning their house after my grandparents had died, no one wanted those cook books, or really any of the kitchen equipment. They were willing the throw those out!!!!

MY grandma C was never a very good cook, but to me those cook books are priceless. Not only are they part of history, they are part of my families history. I'm sure I could go through and find notes written by her, or marks to know which recipes to make again. My grandma M is a great cook, and I hope to get some of her cookbooks when she dies as well (Hopefully it will be a long wait) and I hope to get some of my mom's some day as well. I hope to pass these as well as my own cook books onto the next generation some day too.

I has been said that Families are created at the dinner table, and that the family that eats together is the family that stays together. and these cook books make that possible. Like I said, they are not only part of history, they are part of my families history. the recipes that bring us all together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home