Friday, February 03, 2006

Training The Next Bobby Fisher

Ok, maybe I am exagurating a bit. But I am teaching a young kid from the coffee shop how to play Chess. He is 6 1/2 and is doing pretty good. Last week I taught him how the peices move, and this week we played our first games. The first one lasted about 20 moves, mainly because I was being nice.

The second game only lasted about 10 moves, but I was more proud of him in that game then in the first one because he was trying to think stratigicly. He figured out that if he didn't move the peices surrounding the king, he would be safe. He was wrong and I beat him quickly, but it was a good start.

The third game was a lot longer and he took a butch of my peices, but that is what I wanted. I was moving peices into position for him to take out targets of oppertunitiy. He caught most of them. He even could have beaten me a few times. I also set up a few traps and gave him some stipulations for them. There were a few traps where he could have taken one of my peices or moved one of his to get his king out of check, but I told him he had to figure out how to move his king to safety. He did pretty well.

I can't wait till next week. I would teach him more tongiht, but I will be in Minneapolis for the weekend, spending time with the fam,, going to the Cycle World Motorcycle show with my dad, my bro, anbd possibly his GF. should be a lot of fun. I probobly post about the show when I get home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home