Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mondays in my apartment are increasingly becoming Food show nights. While the early part of the night is usually consumed by American Gladiators, RAW, and more importantly hanging out with Rae, the later part for the last few weeks has been spent watching shows like Anthony Bourdin: No Reservations, and Good Eats.

The thing I love about these shows, specifically No Reservations, is that it exposes you to food from all over the world. The best thing about one of the greatest art forms in the world is the fact that there is so much variety in the culinary arts. Whether it is local delicacies (which if they show up on a travel show it is usually weird and possibly disgusting, at least when you first hear it.) like fried bull testicles in Spain and Chili Crab in Singapore or variations on beloved classics like Chicken Pot Pie, every one has their own unique style.

Like I said, I love these shows because they expose you to foods from around the world. Here in the rural Midwest, the closest we get to foreign cuisine is a Chinese restaurant, pizza and spaghetti, and tacos or burritos. More and more you'll see Mexican restaurant popping up, due to growing Mexican populations.The problem with most ethnic restaurants such as these is that the selection is usually limited to stuff we know and love. Spaghetti and Ravioli are available at every Italian restaurant I've ever been to (A small number I admit, but that doesn't change the truth of that statement) Mexican and Chinese restaurant always have stuff like Chow mien or enchilada platters, stuff that we all know and love. But there is so much more to these and other cultures that we never see, especially in the rural areas. Some times we will luck out and find something truly diverse in larger, more metropolitan areas, but we can't always be so lucky.

The best culinary experiences I've ever had required me to go to France, something I had no problem doing. While there I was exposed to things like Salmon Lasagna, Horse meat, and Goat Cheese. I fell in love with squid and Brie. It took me crossing an ocean and traveling to another country to be exposed to things such as this. Granted this was almost ten years ago (two months shy of that mile stone to be exact) and the selections at the local grocery stores have improved in the last decade, but this was an important part of my evolution into the foodie that I am today.

The thing I think we forget sometimes is that there is more to cuisine then what we immediately think of when we think of a specific culture's cuisine. I've spent the last few years trying to find and try recipes that are different, not the same old things we all know and love. Even if it is just a different way of preparing chicken then I have, marinating it in Hoisin sauce instead of some bottled marinade.

There is nothing wrong with the old stand bys. They are the old stand bys for a reason. But at least once a week I try to make something different. whether it's experimenting with breading recipes for chicken and fish or something completely new, it adds great variety to my menu.

One reason I think so many people are afraid to try new things, whether it is new foods or jumping out of a plane, is fear. For the plane the fear is obvious; what if my parachute doesn't open. For food it's a bit less clear. modifying recipes for Meatloaf or trying new versions of them is usually not a problem because you know you like it in the first place and just want to try different ways to make Meatloaf. Trying something like fried fish eggs with chocolate sauce is completely different. You don't know if you will like it or hate it. will it make you throw up or beg for more.

And all to often the fear wins out, which is a shame because then you miss out on some great tastes and textures. While I'm not to sure about the Fried Fish Eggs with chocolate sauce (or even if such a dish exists) I've tried some things over the years that I never would have eaten if I had let fear win out. Sometimes these have been things I just wasn't too sure I would like ot not, like Falafal, others things I figured I would hate, like squid. The best advice I would give is not ask what it is until after you try it. I know plenty of people who would never eat horse if they knew what it was, but would probably have no problem if they didn't know.

So do yourself a favor. Try something new. A new recipe, a new dish at a restaurant, something. You never know if you will like it if you don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home