Sunday, March 30, 2008

I'm watching the WWE Hall Of Fame induction ceremony, and during the career retrospective for Ric Flair, someone (I thing it was a former Horseman) compared him to Babe Ruth and Mohammad Ali. Jim Ross said something along the lines of watching flair in that first year of his career was like watching Micheal Jordan's rookie season. You just knew that it was the start of something special.

All those comparisons are accurate. Every sport has that one player that even if you aren't a fan, you have heard of them. Boxing has Ali, Baseball has Ruth. Hockey has Wayne Gretzky, Football has...I'm a fan of Football, so I can't say who that one person is. All the proof you need is the fact that I don't even need to link to Wikipedia entries for these men, everyone has heard of them. Gretzky's name was even in Blogger's spell check.

Even though Pro Wrestling isn't considered by most to be a sport, for fans and competitors alike, we have Ric Flair. I think it was Triple H (because I can't remember who said it tonight) who said that there are many who have tried and some who have come close, but there will never be another Ric Flair. He has often said to be the man, you have to beat the man, but Flair will forever be the man.

Congrats Naitch. You've earned it.

On behalf of every wrestling fan in the world, all I have to say is

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home