Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Before I go any further, let me just say that, yes this is another post about something I read on Wil Wheaton's blog. I think the reason I'm enjoying some of his posts so much is because he is facing some of the same stuff I am (or will) when it comes to self publishing. And he is a nerd, which is always good. Anyways, this time it is something I read in this post.

"Because nobody told me I couldn't."

The above line was spoken by David Gerrold, who wrote and sold The Trouble With Tribbles when he was only 19. He said that when Wheaton asked how he had the courage to do so.

This is something anyone, especially people who are into creative type things, need to memorize. Cooking classes will teach you how to cook, writing classes will teach you how to right, but in either of them, if you color outside of the lines and do something like Dragon's Fury with it's mix of sci-fi and fantasy, you will be told you can't do that (just ask JH) When it comes to creativity, don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't do. If it works, great. if it doesn't, great. At least you tried. And it isn't just writing or cooking. Once, a few friends were going to the church to jam and use the church's sound system. being the only one who knew how to run it, I of course went along. when the comment was made that they needed a drummer and Cat couldn't make it, I grabbed the sticks. when asked if I knew how to play the drums, I said I didn't know, but there was only one way to find out (or no, but that never stopped me before. Another line I commonly use in those situations) And I didn't do the best, but by the time we left, I wasn't doing that bad for someone who had never played drums in his life.

I think Abe Simpson said it best though.

"you never know what you're capable of. I never thought I could shoot down a German plane, but last year I proved myself wrong."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home