Monday, November 23, 2009

I heard Micheal Jackson won a bunch of awards at the American Music Awards. 4 out of 5, which is apparently a record.

Before I go any further, let me state that, for the record, I am not the biggest fan of Micheal Jackson's, but I don't hate him. He had talent, but after Bad I never really liked any of his stuff much. Maybe if he had become more Metal. And I can understand why so many people liked his music so much. but for me, after Bad, most of his stuff wasn't, in my opinion, as good. Not sure why, haven't listened to his music enough to figure that out. It's more of a "you like it or you don't" sort of thing.

the question I have to ask is this. Would he have been even nominated if he hadn't died? The album that got him nominated was a greatest hits collection, which automatically isn't fair to the competition who released original content. But would that album have been nominated had he not died? I doubt it, since I don't recall any other greatest hits albums being nominated for a major award. Likewise, had he not died, would he have won? Since Pop/Soul/R&B (the categories he won) are not a genre I normally listen to, he may have even with a new, original album. But again, would he if he hadn't died?

I asked the same thing of Heath Ledger's Oscar win; would he have won if he hadn't died. He did good as Joker, but I doubt he would have even been nominated if he hadn't died.

Lifetime Achievement awards, albums that are new and deserve to win, artist of the year. These and more are all things that I can see being awarded after death. but the problem you run into is always the same. Was the winner actually the best choice? Was their win a sentimental one? In some cases the answer is obvious (Heath Ledger.) In others not so much. If it had been a brand new album, I probably wouldn't have had a problem with Jackson winning. But since it is a Greatest Hits album, I can't help but question whether or not he should have won.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home