Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Great American Pasttime

In a few minutes my friend Eric and I will be going to New Ulm to meet up with Casey and his wife, and from there it is on to the Cities, where we will watch as the Minnesota Twins take on the Chicago Cubs.

As I said when Kirby Pucket died, I have very little interest in Baseball. I have enjoyed watching games for the last several days (Eric is a die hard Twins fan who doesn't miss a game if he can help it) and I enjoy going to them, but for the most part, I don't care. the same goes for Hockey and Soccer. I find them to be a bit boring.

Don't get me wrong. Aside from the fact that I think the athletes are overpaid, I have nothing against professional sports. I don't mind Basketball, and I love Football, Bicycle Racing, and most extreme sports. I just find Baseball a bit dull at times and can't understand why it is known as the great american pasttime.

That being said, there is something about being there in person that makes baseball instantly enjoyable. Maybe it is the enthusiasm of the crowd, the crack of the bat, the fact that, even though you have the same stuff at home, a $4 Dome Dog just tastes better then the same hot dog at home.

Whatever the reason, I will be there, I will be cheering, and I will be enjoying it. Check back later for my thoughts on the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home