Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I realized something while going to the bathroom just a bit ago (because, as any guy will tell you, we do our best thinking while on the toilet. that is why we spend so much time in there when we go.) I realized that, for the most part, what I have planned and have written so far for Fantasy isn't very deep stuff. I set up story lines in previous issues, and then when Fantasy fights the bad guy it is more of a filler fight so I can do more set up. Int he first volume there are several stories I am looking forward to writing, but they pretty much are in the minority to stories where he is in a filler fight and the main story is the stuff going on while he fights the Bad Guy Of The Week.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, shows like Power Rangers have been quite successful with a Monster Of The Week style, but it's not the type of story I like to read or write. I look at what I have planned for Power Force, which started off as my attempt at doing a Power Rangers series (complete with the Power Ranger name before I had changed so much stuff that I dropped it) and I can't help but think about how I could do the same for Fantasy or other series work like it. Out of 50 stories I have planned for the first "season" there are only two that aren;t character development or advancing the main story lines. and one of those sets up character development and story line stuff. The other I ended up altering and using as a plot for Fantasy #7. (I liked that one a lot though, and will be using it in Power Force still)

So I'm thinking, for Volume two, I'm going to take a similar approach. Obviously with a bigger cast like in Power Force (5 Rangers and 2 main story lines and villains) it will be easier, but this way I can develop stories more, focus on individual characters more, and still do the "meanwhile" type stuff and filler issues. In other words more like I did for the Fantasy Trilogy that started all of this. There was a story I was planning on doing between Vol 1 and 2 that could easily be place in Vol 2 that will be 5 or 6 issues. I have another storyline, the main one for Vol 2, that will be about as long. That takes up almost half of the volume! And since a large portion of the stories in Vol 1 were developed as I was doing the outlines, who knows what I will come up with for Vol 2.

I'm guessing I can get it to the point where filler issues are the exception, not the rule, and still use allot of the villains I've introduced already, either in side stories like the 4 I have planned during Vol 1 and in story lines in Vol 2 (already worked Super Shift into the first story line, and I'm sure I can get Master Mage, the Cybernators, and the Hunter some screen time.) It's just a matter of getting Vol 1 done so I can start work on Vol 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home