Wednesday, April 12, 2006

First Ride Of The Season

Just got back from my first ride of the season. I mean literaly just got back. I took off my jersey shows, and knee brace, grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, sat down, and now I am typing this.

I have ridden before this, but it was mostly just for transportation purposes. going to the coffee shop or work. This was the first ride for accual training perposes.

It wasn't a hard ride. Just around town. I don't have the new computer on my roadie, but I drove the route in my truck before and it is about 6 miles. I didn't push myself, so it took about 24 minutes.

I had tried to ride earlier this year. In fact I had been hoping to get my first ride in for about a month now. I blame Discovery, History, and National Geographic channels for my inability to get out. Stupid stations keep playing shows that interest me!. Fortunatly today didn't have anything that interested me, so I was able to get out.

I did notice some things that I need to fix on the roadie. I realy need to raise the seat. My knees, which are bad to begin with, bend too much while I am sitting. I also need to fix the front gear cable. It broke last fall. I bout some new ones, but I never got around to changing them. I also need to finaly replace the tires. they are the ones that were on it when I got the thing about two years ago, and they weren't in great shape then.

As for the ride, it wasn't bad. normaly I take these short rides to work on stuff I want to post or stories I am working on. This time it was just about getting out, feeling the with in my face and the sun on my skin. I knees hurt and my breathing and heart rate were increased when I first started out, but after a few minutes in the saddle, they were back to almost normal. My breathing was a bit heavier, heart rate was a few beats per minute higher, and my knees hurt a bit more, but 5 months with out any serious ridding and a few extra pounds put on during the winter will do that. Hopefully I can keep riding everyday and I will be back to the same condition I was in last November, when I did my last serious ride., by this time next week.

Mother Nature must have been reading my mind though,and was trying to make me change it because it got realy windy and started couding up while I was out there. Tomarrow the Fiend is open all day, instead of closing at 2 like they did today, so I plan on getting my Mountain Bike out of the bike shop in the basement and hitting the trails in the park. Hopefully I will be able to post a ride report tomarrow. All I know is that it will have to be realy nasty out to stop me :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home