Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Harley VS Indian

The History channel is showing an episode of Modern Marvels dedicated to motorcycles. The jus dedicated an entire segment of the show to one subject, Harley VS Indian. I stopped eating lunch so I could watch it with out any distractions.

For me it is no contest. I am an Indian fan. Always have been, Always will be. As far as motorcycles go, for me it's Indian, Yamaha, Triumph, and Honda. Don't ask me why I am such a big fan of Indians and Triumphs. Maybe it is a family thing, since My dad is a fan of their bikes too. Maybe it is because the founder of Indian was a successful bicycle racer (he won 302 out of 309 races.) I don't know.

I know why I am a Yamaha fan, because that is what I grew up around. My dad has a 1978 650 and a Virago (I think it is 1997, but I'm not sure.) My brother had a Yamaha dirt bike growing up. He also has a Yamaha street bike, although I don't know what year or size. And I have a 1978 650 Yamaha, just like Dad (it's even the same color, although I might repaint it black.) I also know why I like Honda, because I learned to ride on a Honda dirt bike.

But I don't know why I don't like Harleys. I just never had. Don't get me wrong, they make nice looking bikes. I'm not going to deny that. I just never liked them that much and have no desire to buy one. Don't get me wrong. If someone were to give me a Harley, I would accept it, but I'm not going to buy one.

Maybe it's the image thing. A Harley owner is a "big bad biker," and most of the people I know try to fit that persona (a couple of the guys, if you didn't know them, look like someone you wouldn't want to meet in a dark ally, but are a couple of the nicest guys I know.) I don't want to fit some persona simply because of the bike I ride. I want to be myself. On a most bikes, you have that freedom. Sure there are people who imediatly think of a "big bad biker" when you say you own a motorcycle, but I don't mind that.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Everyone has their preferance and their dream bikes. My Dad's dream bike is a Yamaha VMax. My Bro's use to be a Harley Fat Boy (don't know if he still wants one or not.) And Mine is an Indian Scout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home