Saturday, November 24, 2007

It's upgrade day in the apartment. I got a new video card for the tower, a Radeon 9200. The old card (I forget what it was) died in early summer, so it will be nice to have the tower back at mostly full strength. the nice thing about this new card is it also has an S-Video port, which means I don't have to get a new card later on. I plan on getting a new tower and turning the current one into a Video Server, so that stuff I download can be watched on the TV with out cables running to my laptop like I do now. still have to figure out how to make my speakers work with both my T.V. and the video server, but I have time to figure that one out.

The original plan was to just install the video card today, but when I went to get some groceries for some cooking experiments I have planned, I found a small white box leaning against the door. Turns out it is the RAM i ordered for the Laptop. I ordered it Tuesday, and it was suppose to take 7-10 days, so to say I was surprised is an understatement. The Laptop has needed more memory for a long time, and with the current RAM, I will now have 640 MBs (512 new + 128 old.) I have to make some room on the hard drive, which needs to be cleaned anyways, but now I can play games like Knights Of The Old Republic, Guild wars, and World Of Warcraft! I could play KOTOR before, but had to turn pretty much all graphical stuff off or down all the way to get a playable frame rate. The same for Guild Wars in the dungeons, but in towns it was virtually unplayable, which is why I didn't even try WOW.

I plan on getting more RAM for the laptop later, bringing it to 1 GB, but for now, this will work fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home