Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm watching Donut Paradise on Travel Channel right now, and they are talking about an "Iconic" donut shop in Seattle, Top Pot Donuts.

If this place is iconic, how come I've never heard of it.

I had a few problems with the place. I've never been there, but I'm not sure I would want to either.

First, the people they talked to all seemed to think they were Primus' gift to the donut world. They were talking like they thought they were the only ones making donuts like they were, but the problem is I didn't see anything different then what I when I was working in the bakery. Actually I take that back. I actually cut out the donuts by hand, while they were using a machine to cut them out (Despite claims buy one of the bakers that they do everything completely by hand, unlike other places where a person never ouches them.

Second, I can't tell from watching it, but don't see what is so special about them. They may be great tasting donuts, but they didn't look like they were any different from any other donuts. the only unique thing about them is that the dough mix is made for them and no one else, but even that looked and sounded like a standard mix. The glazes, frostings, and fillings sounded and looked like ones you can get pretty much anywhere.

Third, the place looked more like a rester aunt, which it kind of is but not a coffee shop. When I think coffee shop, I think someplace smaller, inviting, and comfortable. This place looks more like some fancier rester aunt. When I was watching it, I was expecting them to show some chef from Top Chef running the kitchen. The place needs to be a little bigger then some coffee shops since they roast their own beans and have the bakery in the back for making donuts, but front seems to big and fancy. looked nice, and if it was just the first floor it would have been fine, but it seemed to big.

fourth, the thing that annoyed me the most is the donuts. from the sounds of it, their most popular donut is the Old Fashioned Donuts. Problem is, they looked like they were over cooked. Splitting like they did is normal in Buttermilk Donuts, but it didn't show them putting buttermilk in them, and usually when someone makes buttermilk donuts, they are marketed as butter milk donuts. most old fashioned, cake donuts that split like that are because they are over cooked.

And finally, if they wanted to talk about an original and iconic donut shop, why didn't they go to Voodoo Donuts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home