Sunday, January 07, 2007

Finish What You Start

I just got back from a friend's house, where I spent the afternoon watching Doctor Who (always fun :) ) As I was driving back to my apartment, the station was doing their news broadcast. I wasn't paying too much attention until I heard a congresswoman say that we won't abandon the troops, that we will bring them home.

That is good. I have no problem with bringing them back, eventually.

Pulling the troops out now would go against a lesson I'm sure most of us learned as children; finish what you start. How many of us started something and left to do something else, only to have our mothers tell us to finish what we started? I'm sure each of us has heard it at least once.

Iraq's government is trying to rebuild itself, the country has suffered a ton of damage, and there are still insurgents to deal with. Until all of these are taken care of, or at least dealt with to the point where they aren't a problem, Iraq is still a work in progress.

If we pull the troops out now, the Iraqi government, still in its infancy, could collapse. The insurgents could take over. Until the situation over there stabilizes, we can't bring the troops home.

Will this happen soon? Hopefully, but not likely. Saddam's exaction will probably just serve to rally his supporters.

Am I in favor of the war? Irelivent. Do I think we shouldlet them handle the situation themselves? Irellivent.

In the end, we started something over there, and we need to finish it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home